32-year old, Ellie has battled her weight almost throughout her life. On her friend’s advice, she embarked on a “self-prescribed” detox diet on fruits and juices for several months. She did lose the weight initially but started suffering from frequent bouts of migraine headaches, chronic fatigue, dizziness and loss of consciousness.
And this could happen to you too.
Though marketers tout the trendy Detox Diet Programs as a secret to that perfect figure but in reality, they pose grave health risks. Most people who undertake extreme detox diets complain about ‘feeling ill’ which selling agencies write-off as “little pain before big gain.”
In reality, healing should soothe us instead of making us suffer. Isn’t it?
Always Remember – Detox is not a quick-fix solution for your health or weight problems. Any detox diet that promises speedy weight loss or overnight transformation may sound irresistible but it may do more harm than good.
Several research studies has shown that most extreme detox diets such as fasting or low calorie intake decreases the metabolism and the subject regains the lost weight once the dieter resume normal eating.
Here are the 6 situations when extreme detox proves to be really harmful.
- Juice and fruit-only diets give high doses of sugar to the body which interfere with the body’s normal insulin secretion. The highs-lows in blood sugar levels make one feel weak and dizzy.
- Initial weight loss is just the loss of body fluids and not fats/toxins. So, you’ll put on all the lost weight when you resume eating your normal diet again.
- Low calorie diets lead to breakdown of proteins and fat stores of the body. This leads to major loss of proteins and muscle mass.
- Diets that severely restrict foods for a longer period of time upset the body equilibrium.
- Using excess doses of purgatives and laxatives is too harsh for the body and cause unwanted effects.
- If you suffer from any medical ailment such as diabetes, hypertension or arthritis etc. extreme detox is a strict no.
It’s popularly said – ‘slow and steady wins the race’, wouldn’t it be better to achieve the right weight gradually but in a more sustainable manner? In this article, we bring to you how to detox in a safe and healthy way to gain maximum health benefits without suffering like several others who take detox on the face value. Don’t just wing it but be informed.
Here is how you can detox your body naturally and safely
Truth be told, our body is designed in a way to detox naturally. If we pay attention to our lifestyle and eating habits, we would realize that when we infuse our body with essential nutrients, the toxins are removed on a consistent basis and we feel recharged, rejuvenated and renewed. Instead of taking drastic measures that make you suffer, keep an eye on what goes into your system and make detox or cleansing a part of your routine lifestyle. Here’s how you can do it.
- Take a good night’s rest: When we sleep, our body repairs and restores all its wear and tear. Lack of adequate sleep increases the stress levels in the body and also reduces the body’s immunity to fight against infection. During sleep, body removes the toxins and replenishes the energy stores. Instead of watching that late night movie or working on a presentation, switch off the light and get a good quality sleep ‘uninterrupted peaceful’.
- Eliminate junk: Most of the food items we are consuming consist of processed foods, refined carbs, sugar and high salt content. Yes, we agree, processed food seems the only time-saving trick in your otherwise hectic schedule but don’t forget all of it is ‘junk’ as it adds no nutrient value and rather puts an extra load on our system. People get addicted to junk foods which lead to overconsumption and increased cravings, therefore, finding it very difficult to give up the habit. Do away with alcohol, wheat, dairy and caffeine for at least once a week. Draw a full-stop and break the habit by being determined and replacing the ‘junk’ with healthy and nutritious food choices.
- Switch to wholesome, fresh and organic foods such fruits and vegetables, whole grains, legumes, nuts and seeds. This will replenish your supply of fiber, vitamins, minerals and antioxidants which are ‘body’s natural detox agents’. Fibers flush out the toxins from the body and reduce the appetite, thus, optimizing your digestive system. Eat lot of cruciferous vegetables such as broccoli, asparagus, spinach, kale and cabbage, and fruits such as avocado, tomato, watermelon, papaya and berries. These help fight constipation by improving the bowel movement.
- Drink plenty of water: Our body is made of 70% water. Water is required for each cell in our body to function efficiently. It helps to remove the toxins and maintain our energy levels. Stay adequately hydrated by drinking at least 6-8 glasses of water every day. You can also add few drops of lemon juice for additional cleansing effect.
- Fermented foods are also good for the gut health: Fermented foods such as yogurt, kefir, kombucha, kimchi, sauerkraut, pickled vegetables and miso are becoming popular among health enthusiasts because of the ability of these foods to increase healthy gut flora and remove the notorious bacteria. Include anyone of these at least in one meal of the day.
- Kick off physical activity: Instead of intense workout, it is best to go for something that has soothing and calming effect on your body such as yoga or morning/evening walk in fresh air. Meditation is also helpful to relax the mind and detox our brain. Another good thing about exercising is the sweat it produces which also take away the toxins from your body. This can be a good excuse to book your next spa or sauna visit.
Isn’t this kind of natural detox sounds much more appealing? It is safer and actionable and don’t make you starve, sick and less active? Detox the natural way to lose the extra pounds and not your energy.
Adopt this natural approach to detoxify your body and you’ll feel the difference. Not today, not tomorrow but over a period of time. Good for you. Good for your body.
Do write to us about your experiences with safe detox.