One of the first signs of aging is wrinkled skin or fine lines around the eyes. Taking good care of skin under the eyes is therefore essential if you want to look younger.
Yet protecting your eyes and taking care of fine lines, crow’s feet and wrinkles is no easy task. The eye area is sensitive to irritation, allergic reactions and discoloration.
I remember when I first got into skin care, I wasted money on expensive products that caused my skin to become red, dry and irritated, making me look older than my years. It was no surprise really, when I later looked at the product label and read a long list of ingredients I couldn’t even pronounce!
It’s therefore wise to use pure ingredients. You can feel assured of their natural purity by using a few simple ingredients found in your kitchen or bathroom cupboard. Prepare to set your eyes upon a fresher set of peepers thanks to these all-natural eye creams…
1. Sweet Almond and Vitamin E Eye Serum
This simple eye serum contains sweet almond oil, renowned for reducing the appearance of dark under eye bags and circles thanks to its high levels of antioxidants and essential fatty acids.
Vitamin E is excellent for skin health while evening primrose oil contains soothing, softening and revitalizing properties that prevent premature aging.
- 1 oz Sweet Almond Oil
- 3 tbsps Castor Oil
- 3 tsp Vitamin E Oil
- 1 Evening Primrose Oil capsule
Mix all of the ingredients together. Store in a dark glass bottle. Apply 2-3 drops of the serum to the eye area every night.
2. Coconut Oil and Vitamin E Cream
Coconut Oil is known to protect against free radicals that damage skin. Vitamin E blocks free radicals, reduces wrinkles and keeps skin looking young.
For best results, gently massage under the delicate eye area before going to sleep.
- Coconut Oil
- Vitamin E Oil
Mix the Coconut Oil and Vitamin E Oil together in a bowl. Store in a container. Apply to the under eye area as needed each night.
3. Green Tea Eye Cream
Citric acid is an exfoliant and a rich source of Vitamin C that can fight free radical damage, the main cause of aging.
Rosehip oil is a top anti-aging oil that is rich in essential fatty acids along with polyunsaturated fatty acids (Vitamin F).
When Vitamin F is absorbed through the skin, it converts to prostaglandins (PGE) and this is involved in supporting the cellular membrane and tissue regeneration.
This eye cream requires a little more preparation than some of the other recipes but is highly effective at targeting signs of aging around the eyes.
- ¼ cup of Green Tea
- 1 tbsp Citric Acid (from Lemon juice)
- 1 tbsp Rosehip Seed Oil
- 1 tbsp Sweet Almond Oil
- ¼ tsp Vitamin E Oil
- 1 tsp Emulsifying Wax
- Lavender, Rose (or other optional essential oils)
- Two medium saucepans
- Glass bowl
- Small containers
- Brew the green tea in the teapot. Fill two medium saucepans about halfway full of water.
- Place a glass bowl with a spout in each saucepan and turn the stove onto a medium heat.
- Add the emulsifying wax, rosehip seed oil, sweet almond oil and Vitamin E oil into one saucepan.
- Add the green tea and citric acid (lemon juice) to the other saucepan.
- Heat the mixtures until the emulsifying wax has melted completely.
- Use a thermometer to check the temperature of both the saucepans. Both temperatures need to be the same before combining them otherwise the cream won’t set.
- Once the oil mixture and water mixture reach 130 degrees, pour the water into the oil mixture.
- Mix the cream using a handheld blender.
- Every 10 minutes, continue mixing until the water is no longer separating at the bottom. This can take 30 minutes to 1 hour.
- Once fully mixed together, add in the essential oils and then pour into containers.
This cream absorbs quickly into the delicate area of the skin under the eyes. Use morning and night for best results.
4. Anti-Wrinkle Avocado Eye Serum
Avocado oil is abundant in fatty acids and this can help to balance skin moisture levels.
High in vitamins A, C and E, avocado oil can rejuvenate dry and tired skin, removing free radicals that can cause aging.
Aloe vera helps with rebuilding collagen faster and preventing its breakdown. Studies also show that aloe vera gel can significantly reverse signs of skin aging.
- 2 tbsps avocado oil
- 2 tbsps fractionated coconut oil
- 1/8 – ¼ cup aloe vera
- 1 Vitamin E capsule (optional)
- A few tbsps of Cocoa butter (optional)
- Melt the coconut oil if necessary and combine in a dark glass bottle, preferably using a dropper. Shake mixture to combine.
- Place 3-4 drops onto your finger and before going to bed, pat onto the skin around the eye.
- If using the Vitamin E capsule, remember to shake the serum before use.
- For a more solid cream, the tablespoons of cocoa butter can enhance the moisturizing properties while ensuring the moisturizer doesn’t slide so much.
5. Under-Eye Face Mask
Combined with rose essential oil, this super light and non-greasy under-eye face mask is rich in antioxidants and penetrates deep into the layers of the skin, stimulating collagen production on a deep level.
- 2 tsps colloidal oatmeal
- 2 drops rose essential oil
- Water to mix
- Mix ingredients together and gently apply to the under eye area.
- Leave for 10-20 minutes to set.
- Gently remove with warm water, patting dry with a towel.
Taking a Fresh Look at Eye Care
Why not try each of these natural rejuvenating eye creams and see the visible difference for yourself. Prepare an anti-aging serum on a weekly or monthly basis and see what works best for you and your lifestyle.
Once I made the switch to all natural recipes, not only did my skin dryness and irritation stop, I also started receiving many compliments about my fresh looking face.
You could also take photos or write in a journal to determine the effectiveness of the treatments. This is a great way to record the before and after results, showing any noticeable improvements to your under eye appearance.